The 2020 State House of Delegates (HoD) will be in El Paso, TX.
Nominations open for TSTA officers
Nominations are open for the positions of TSTA President and Vice President, for a three-year term beginning July 15, 2020. Individuals who file for either office are automatically filed for alternate NEA Director for Texas. Both elections will be held during the 2020 TSTA convention. The filing deadline is Sept. 15, 2019. For more information, contact TSTA’s Center for Executive and Governance at 8716 N. Mopac Expy, Austin, Texas 78759, or call 877-ASK-TSTA, ext. 1337 or 1338. Filing forms are at tsta.org. The filing deadline has passed. The following candidates have filed for TSTA President:
- Ovidia Molina, Alief-TSTA/NEA
TSTA President Candidate Ovidia Molina was the only candidate to file for this position, and has completed the required filing submission. As a result, she will be declared elected by acclamation during the 2020 House of Delegates.
The following candidates have filed for TSTA Vice President:
- Richard Beaule, Killeen Education Association
- Linda Estrada, Donna TSTA/NEA
NEA Director Election: Nominations are also open for NEA Director for Texas, Place 3. The successful candidate for NEA Director for Texas, Place 3 will serve a three-year term on the NEA Board of Directors beginning September 1, 2020, and will sit as a voting member of the TSTA Board of Directors for a three-year term beginning July 15, 2020. The following candidates have filed for NEA Director Place 3:
- Alejandra Lightner, Laredo United TSTA/NEA
- Aaron Phillips, Amarillo Education Association
- Arthur Robinson, Alief-TSTA/NEA
- Sheila Walker, NEA Dallas
Special Election: Unexpired Term – Nominations are open for NEA Director for Texas, Place 2 Unexpired Term. The successful candidate will serve a one-year term on the NEA Board of Directors, beginning September 1, 2020, and will be a voting member on the TSTA Board of Directors for a one-year term beginning July 15, 2020.
The election for NEA Director for Texas, Place 2 and 3 will be held at the April 2020 House of Delegates. For additional information, contact TSTA’s Center for Executive and Governance at 8716 N. Mopac Expy, Austin, TX 78759, or call 877-ASK-TSTA. Follow this link for the filing form for the NEA Director election, https://tsta.wufoo.com/forms/candidate-for-nea-director-filing-form/. The filing deadline has passed. The following candidates have filed for NEA Director Place 2 Unexpired:
- Bianca Carr, Alief-TSTA/NEA
- Francisco Dionisio, New Braunfels Educators Association
- Doris Hill, Grand Prairie Education Association
Update: TSTA has received notification from NEA regarding the possible reduction of a state position, NEA Director for Texas, on the NEA Board due to declining state membership. A final determination regarding the need for reduction will be made by NEA after May 31, 2020.
In order to comply with NEA policy, the candidate who wins NEA Director Place 2 at the TSTA HoD 2020 will assume office only in the event that NEA does NOT reduce a position from Texas on the NEA board. This information will not be available until after May 31, 2020.
Update: In light of this, the elected candidate will serve as NEA Director beginning at the end of the House of Delegates — April 25th — through the receipt of communication from NEA with their final decision regarding possible reduction of NEA Director for Texas, Place 2. If NEA ultimately decides to reduce this position, the term will begin April 25, 2020 and conclude August 31, 2020. If NEA maintains the position, the term will begin April 25, 2020 and conclude August 31, 2021.
TSTA At-Large Board of Directors: Although it is possible elections will not be held, TSTA is seeking nominations for these positions now in case elections are required. Elections will take place at the 2020 TSTA House of Delegates. Individuals elected would serve from July 15, 2020, through July 14, 2023. https://tsta.wufoo.com/forms/tsta-board-of-directors-atlarge-nomination-form/
Local Delegate Elections for the State HoD
Allocations and corresponding chartering information has been mailed to all local presidents. If you have any questions regarding your allocations or compliance, please email email@example.com or call the Center for Executive and Governance toll-free at 877-ASK-TSTA.
State HoD Delegate Election Report Forms
Local Delegate Election Reports must be received at TSTA HQ by March 15th. A confirmation receipt will be issued for all submissions. Any submission that arrives after March 15th must be accompanied by a letter from the local president to explain why it is late. Any submission presented after April 1st automatically goes to credentials. As always, the Center for Executive and Governance will look up membership information for each delegate and work with the local president to make sure that the local’s delegate election report is complete and complies with TSTA Election policies.
Please email all forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 512-486-7053, or mail to TSTA CEG, 8716 N. Mopac Expy, Austin, TX 78759.
Local Delegate Election reports may be submitted in the following ways based on your preference:
1. If your local is allotted 13 or less delegates and elected 13 or less alternates, you may submit their information using the following e-form links. The first link includes certification and delegate information. The second link, alternate information. If you use these links, please email a copy of your election tally to email@example.com. To enter delegate or alternate information on these e-forms, you only need to enter their name and one piece of identifying information- either their membership ID, Last Four digits of their social security number, or the first line of their street address.
Delegate Report Form link: https://tsta.wufoo.com/forms/tsta-hod-local-delegate-election-report/
Alternate Report Form link: https://tsta.wufoo.com/forms/tsta-hod-local-alternate-election-report/
2. If you would like to submit paper forms that use the abbreviated version of delegate/alternate identifying information, please complete the following election report, delegate report, and alternate report forms. If you use these forms, please also send your tally to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Another way of turning in the abbreviated delegate information in an electronic delegate list is by using the excel spreadsheet posted below. Please note there are separate delegates and alternates tabs on the spreadsheet. This may be helpful for you if you are allocated more than 13 delegates but want to turn a list in electronically (we have a field limit on forms which led to the baker’s dozen). In addition to the spreadsheet, you will need to send the election report form (posted below) and your election tally to email@example.com.
4. If you liked using the previous forms, they are posted below. In addition to the forms you will need to send your voting tally to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a delegate cannot attend and an alternate is being moved into the original delegate’s place, the Local president should report the change on the Delegate Change Report (changes not reported by April 1 must be made at the HoD).
TSTA members who have no opportunity to join a local association or who belong to a local that is not eligible to elect a delegate are still eligible to seek election as a delegate to the TSTA House of Delegates through a cluster election. The deadline by which a member must notify the TSTA Center for Executive and Governance of his or her interest in seeking election as a cluster delegate will be updated for 2020 soon. https://tsta.wufoo.com/forms/hod-cluster-election-request-form/
Local Delegate Elections for the Regional HoD
Regional Houses of Delegates are held on the date established by each Region. Please contact your Regional President for more information about dates, times, and locations.
The President of your Local Association must submit the results of your local delegate elections to your Regional President (by the deadline established by the Regional President) on the TSTA Regional HoD Election Forms. These include:
• Regional HoD Delegates
• Regional HoD Alternates
• Multiple entries form (for additional delegates/alternates page 2 to end)
For more information on election procedures and requirements, please review TSTA Board Policy EP-8 (Election of Local Delegates to the State House of Delegates) and TSTA Board Policy EP-13 (Election of Local Delegates to the Regional House of Delegates).
If you have questions, please contact the Center for Executive and Governance at 877-ASK-TSTA.