SAVE TEXAS SCHOOLS
The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You:
We’re Watching, We’ll Remember & We Vote!
Saturday, May 21
Inside the Texas Capitol
With the legislative session nearing its final days, state legislators continue their unconscionable assault on public education. As currently drafted, funding bills would inflict crippling cuts on schools statewide, putting Texas in or near last place nationally in funding for education. Unbelievably, state leaders still refuse to use the state’s Rainy Day Fund to provide even modest relief for Texas students – and time is running out!
Based on past schedules, the Texas Legislature will be in session this Saturday to work on funding bills. Our goal is to have 1,000 or more Save Texas Schools supporters flood the Capitol throughout the day with a clear message: We’re Watching, We’ll Remember and We VOTE!
Texas can and must do better by its kids. Stand with us this Saturday in the halls of the Texas Capitol – our future depends on it!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
Volunteers may choose the morning shift (10 am-1 pm), the afternoon shift (1pm-4 pm) or both.
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’re coming. If you’re bringing a group, give us the approximate number. Also, please include which shift you prefer (10am-1pm or 1pm-4pm) or whether you will come for the full day. We’ll be ready for folks who haven’t RSVP’d, but it helps our planning.
- When you arrive, go to the Family Life Center of First United Methodist Church, 1201 Lavaca St., on the west side of the Capitol. We’ll have t-shirts, printed materials and group assignments. If you have Save Texas Schools shirts already, please bring them! We’ll also have STS volunteers stationed at the Rotunda to work with volunteers who may arrive there.
- Volunteers will go in groups to approximately 6 offices for 20 minute visits with staff. Our goal is to have each office visited by 8-10 groups. All volunteers will also have the chance to sit in the House or Senate galleries and be a silent witness (though your t-shirt will speak loud and clear). We will be able to be more vocal in the lobby by the entrance to the House Chamber.
- We’ll have snacks and drinks at 1201 Lavaca (FUMC Family Life Center). The Capitol Grille (cafeteria) will also be open. Parking is plentiful at the State Capitol Visitors parking garage or in nearby commercial garages.
- More questions? Call us at 512-653-4935 or e-mail email@example.com