Educators all over Texas are responding valiantly to the needs of students and their neighbors during these difficult and challenging times. Gov. Greg Abbott also must do his part to help kids, educators and communities stay safe.
We are petitioning the governor to:
- Close schools for the remainder of the school year to help slow down the spread of the coronavirus and COVID-19.
- Require schools to continue distributing free meals in a safe way. Sixty percent of the children in Texas public schools are economically disadvantaged, and without these meals thousands of kids will go hungry.
- Continue to fully fund school districts and require them to continue paying and providing benefits to hourly employees. Many of these support workers are risking their own health to clean school facilities, and others are helping feed children while their schools are closed.
- Guarantee paid sick time for all school employees affected by COVID-19 and for employees required to care for ill family members.
- Help school districts find ways to ensure educational equity for students with special needs, English language learners and economically disadvantaged children whose families can’t afford computers or Internet access. They cannot be left behind in an emergency.
- Waive all teacher appraisals for this academic year because of the extraordinary circumstances, including the inability to conduct direct classroom observations, created by the coronavirus emergency.