If you have signed our petition to Governor Abbott, thank you for adding your voice to our demand for strong action supporting our students, educators and communities. Now, we would like you to show your colleagues around the state what kinds of emergencies and hardships you are handling.
Please take a photo of yourself wearing #RedForEd and holding a sign that says a little about why you want the governor to take action — some ideas might be KEEP OUR KIDS SAFE or KEEP FEEDING KIDS — and please use the hashtag #KeepTxEdSafe. Please share your photos with us by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Then watch for a follow-up email from TSTA this week about how to share those photos and learn about our plans for a “virtual rally” on Facebook, featuring your pictures.
We are demanding that the governor:
- Close schools for the remainder of the school year to help slow down the spread of the coronavirus and COVID-19.
- Require schools to continue distributing free meals in a safe way.
- Continue to fully fund school districts and require them to continue paying and providing benefits to hourly employees.
- Guarantee paid sick time for all school employees affected by COVID-19 and for employees required to care for ill family members.
- Help school districts find ways to ensure educational equity for students with special needs, English language learners and economically disadvantaged children whose families can’t afford computers or Internet access.
- Waive all teacher appraisals for this academic year because of the extraordinary circumstances created by the coronavirus emergency.
If you are not yet a member of TSTA, you can join our movement today! Together we can change the way public schools, students and employees are treated.